Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Lovely Moss Letters...

Ok, finally back with a tutorial for how to make those Moss Covered Letters we were drooling over...Blogger is acting funky today...please excuse all these excessive breaks & spacing...it took me forever just to get this entry to post!


BUT FIRST,
I would like to wish my mother in law a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Happy Birthday, Nana!!

*************************************


Alrighty...


Remember we found these delicious letters on Etsy...




but, I was too cheap to buy one! (and I just like a crafting challenge)

So, I decided to hit the craft store & get some things to make my own...

Here's what you need:



• Your letter of choice (and size)...I wanted a monster letter, so I picked the 36" one!

• Super Moss Preserved Sheet Moss
 • Hot Glue Gun



• Ribbon of choice


• Rotary Cutter (or scissors)
  

I ended up needing a little more than one pack of the Super Moss for my SUPER big letter. If you're using a smaller letter, one pack of moss should be plenty.


 

I did my craft shopping a Joann's for my letter & moss...I accidently picked up this pack thinking it was the same thing I used before. WHAT AN EXCELLENT mistake!! This stuff is SO MUCH BETTER than the other kind that I used...this sheet moss is ATTACHED (note the clear mesh on the back) & not going to fall all over the place when you work with it.

 

SO much easier,

I will NEVER use the other stuff again!!
  To get started, I just put the letter face down onto the sheet moss and traced it off...

 

Then, I used my rotary cutter to cut it out (EASY)...scissors will work as well, but with the rotary cutter you don't have to pick the moss up...which means it's not coming apart & making a mess.





 Now, you're ready to hot glue...  

Take a minute to get your game face on.  

Most likely you are going to get burnt by the glue...it's just a rite of passage for a crafter. Be careful, of course...be assured that you will probably feel a burn on your finger that will briefly hurt like a son of a nutcracker...

if do get burnt, you should be smiling because you have earned a new badge for your crafter sash...all TRUE crafters get burnt every now & then...I promise. ;)


 

 It takes a little while to piece it down on your letter, hot gluing as you go.

The sheet moss makes it SO easy to cut the pieces of the sides & inside of the letter...I LOVE this stuff!

 

I think in all, it took me about an hour to do this 36" cardboard P...

((and I was only interrupted by my children EIGHT times during this hour))

   




I used some ribbon that I had on hand, and hot glue it to the back.
  
However I ordered FOUR yards of burlap to make some garland for my Christmas tree for next year...like the one on Just A Girl (yes, I'm just obsessed with Chris...she's a total craft rock star)! ;)


 



You just cut it in strips...(rotary cutter, baby)...easy as pie!

I'm going to make a burlap bow to go on my moss letter (since that brown ribbon I used is just not powerful enough for that large letter) & hang it in the kitchen after the holidays.


((oH & someone asked...my paint color is BURNT COPPER by Porter Paints....))


 ******************************************


OK, now...DON'T stop with just the moss!


You can add all kinds of garnish to your letter & use it all year long!


 
  
(isn't this door amazing!!!)


 




Here's my price breakdown: 

36" Mega Letter $7.99

Moss Cloth $8.99

Glue gun (and a gazillion glue sticks), had on hand

Ribbon ($1), had on hand 


Crafting Total: approx $17-$20 



AND, I found a new DIY gal to drool over...Check Out Lindsay's site, Living With Lindsay (and note the line about glue gun burn...ahem) ;)

Ok, I've got to get busy here...

what an INSANE week...just INSANE!!! 

I love Christmas and celebrating the birth of Jesus...and I really wish that was all it was about!   

Can we start a petition here to stop the madness!?!? 

Golly gee!

Ok, the Grinch here...signing off! ;)


Happy Wednesday!

13 comments:

  1. Wow -- that turned out so cute! I may have to dig out my glue gun and try it! Thanks!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy! I made moss initial wreaths for family for our first "married" Christmas in 2000. I found the idea in my Southern Living Christmas 1999 book. LOVE those SL books! Great job, love your "P" & love you, girl! =)
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see that this post is from 2009 but my 2011 wedding is just around the corner and I too have been DROOLING over the moss covered letters. I intend on doing mine and my fiance's initials. This tutorial is A TON easier than the others I've seen. So thanks!
    PS- agreed on the CHRISTmas comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! Do you think I could use this with styrofoam? I already have some on hand and was just going to cut out the letter, then glue on the moss. I'm not sure if the glue would melt the styrofoam though...thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there where did you get the 36" letter and super moss

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great tutorial! Thanks so much for the help :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mandy,
    Did you serge the edges of the burlap? They look like they've been bound. Isn't there such a thing as burlap ribbon? That would be easier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love this idea. I realize this is an older post, but where did you find the large letter? I have checked Michael's and Hobby Lobby with no luck. Any recommendations are welcomed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where did you find a letter that big? I want a 24" and can't find one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! I love it! Also, what's the link to the Etsy version? I'd like to compare a few things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Mandy, could you please send me an email on the moss letters. I love the ones on Etsy- but I am the same way, I would love to make a letter A for my wedding.. could you please help me out. Here's my email: linseyuga06@gmail.com

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just posted a link up to this tutorial on my blog! :)

    http://www.sarahleeweaver.com/2012/06/my-wedding-diy-moss-covered-letters.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a great idea. I used 5" birch wood letters and numbers as table numbers and signs at a wedding. It was really time-consuming, but the numbers and letters came out beautifully. Great idea!

    Now that my event is over, I am offering them in the "Recycle Your Wedding" section on Ruffled, here:
    http://ruffledblog.com/community/recycle-your-wedding-browse/reception/table-numbers-preserved-moss-1-8-amp-more-9623.html

    Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for Your Lovely Comments. I enjoy every single one of them! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...