Monday, March 7, 2011

Can you hear me now?

You know, 

I don't think I've ever shared this with my blog friends...
since we're friends, 
I feel sort of deceptive not mentioning it to you...
 

I have broken ears.

Yep, handicap...



Actually, I'm not just handicap with broken ears...

I am a "perfect candidate" 

Because of the degree of my loss (extreme loss in high pitch, but completely normal in the other ranges), I'm unable to wear a hearing aid (because it makes everything I can hear way too loud).

I don't do sign language either...
 
Do you? 
No one does hardly...
so it never seemed to be a 
vital communication skill for me to learn.

But, I read lips.
Well.

Really, really well.
I am the reason football coaches 
put their clipboards over their mouth on tv. ;)

Remember this episode of Seinfeld?

Yep.
I'm pretty close.

I text, but don't actually speak on the phone.
(well, I could speak if you wanted to listen...ha) 
I live a relatively normal life considering how profound my loss is
(thanks to my ferociously protective family, 
my sweet friends, & today's amazing technology).

This all came into light when I was in the 3rd grade...
being forced to take piano lessons (woof).  
My teacher noticed that I had trouble hearing her instructions 
when she was standing behind me, telling me which notes to play.

The next thing I know I am visiting a string of doctors 
and going through a string of tests 
and visiting this hospital where people 
are walking around with these huge, 
scary things on their ears...

For a 9 year old who just wanted to be a normal kid, 
it was pretty scary and traumatic...
& it took me many, many years before 
I would willingly go back to let anyone test my hearing again.



Now that I have children of my own,
I cannot wrap my mind around how much stress this must have caused my parents. It hurts my heart to think about how badly this probably worried my poor mother. I often feel guilty that I was such a high maintenance child...having them worry over me, my limitations and the financial burden of all the doctors and testing that we went through way back then. 

BUT, 
One thing my parents adamantly insisted on... 
  I was going to be a normal kid 
(just like I wanted).

And thanks to them, I have never let my limitations keep me from doing anything.  I went to college and became a first grade teacher, I was actually Teacher of the Year at my school one year.  
I'm a true & certifiable butt kicker, 
so watch out. ;)


It was about 5 years ago that I found an ear doctor that I love.
Actually, she is a girl I went to high school with...
she's my age & lots of fun 
& every time I go visit her office we talk babies,
fashion, mommy life, etc...
in other words, she lets me think I'm normal.
I do heart her
Going to visit her was  
the very first time I've ever gone through the hearing
examination "in the booth" without snubbing & crying.
(because "the booth" rips the band aid off...
can't hide behind anyone in there)

So, I guess that means I'm growing up. 
LOL

Well, there ya go.

The Confession.
The Crafty Southern Mama's secret is out.


I'm not sure why I felt like I needed to tell you guys that...
I guess I try to pass myself off as a regular gal,
& I really am not.

But, that's ok. 
God has been so good to me,
I don't waste time crying over things I cannot change...
my disability is just minor glitch.




Everything is done & made for a reason,
it's helped me become the person that I am.

& I'm kinda proud of that person. ;)


Now, here's what I want to know.
Do you know anyone like me in real life?
I seldom meet anyone with my exact type of hearing disability.
 I'm curious to know how other people live without ears that work.


I'm heading out to the gym...
it's getting too easy to skip it...
my hiney is flabby...
you probably didn't want to know that.


Wishing you a fab-tastic Monday!

7 comments:

  1. Very interesting! You have such a wonderful attitude about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are and have always been my big sister who I want to be just like! Bad ears or good ears! I love you, and admire you more than you'll ever know!!! I think the best thing I can remember about the situation was once I was immaturely talking about how you couldn't hear me, and you said, "are you sure I can't hear you, or I am just IGNORING you??". Zinger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl, you are BETTER than normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter has a hearing loss. She was born in China and came here at 14 months. She was behind in language and we (doc included) figured it was due to hearing Chinese for 14 months. ALthough both ears are listed as moderate loss, she wears a hearing aid in only one ear and does fine. Actually, she does pretty well without the hearing aid, except for certain range of sounds. She's 9 now and really doesn't want to wear it except at school and that seems to work out ok. Am worried about how jr high and high school will be for her and if she will wear it then. The good thing is that hearing aids are getting smaller and smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never commented before.. don't even know how this will show up (I prefer to just blog stalk;) but I had to jump in here. All these years, I KNEW we were related!! Haha!! My Mom has this problem and has had surgery in both ears - one successfully and the other not so successfully (because the 1st doc did something wrong and when a 2nd doc tried to repair yrs later, it was too far gone). My cousin has had the surgery as well.. completely successfully. I often think I need to have my ears checked as well, but deny and procrastinate!! Heather Matthews

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about your hearing loss. However, it sounds like you have a great attitude and your disability hasn't stopped you for a split second! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mandy, I had NO idea! This seals it, not only are you crazy talented, you are also courageous and strong. Love you more! Thank you for being vulnerable here. I love hearing how people's experiences in life shape them into who they are today. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for Your Lovely Comments. I enjoy every single one of them! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...