Wednesday, February 8, 2012

How to make Fabric Covered Containers...

A Trash to Treasure (Holder) Tutorial :)

Back during the holidays I made these adorable reindeer cookies...
they required the mini chocolate covered pretzels for the antlers.




 They came in these nice, sturdy containers with plastic lids.

My first thought was boy, these chocolate covered pretzels are gooood...boy, these would make a great storage container for something! 

So I got out some fabric & my mod podge & got busy!

You can make these yourself, easy peasy... 

all you need is fabric or decorative paper, mod podge & a brush.

Let me say that I have used mod podge & paper and I really would rather use fabric because the paper will get wet & sometimes will tear, bleed or smear...you have to be more careful if you use that medium, fabric is very easy to work with.
The first thing you want to do is measure & cut your fabric (or decorative paper) according to the size of the container you want to cover.  You will need to make it just a pinch longer on the edges so that you can fold & have a nice, clean seam.




 Then you will need to start applying a bit of mod podge...


I liked that sliver lining around the top, so I lined my fabric up under it...
otherwise I would have folded it down on the top just like I am going to do on the bottom of this container.





now, you're probably going to notice the mod podge soaking through your fabric...this is OK, do not panic! ;)
Just smooth it down with your finger or a paper towel.

Do just a section at a time, don't try to cover it all at one time...
it can get too messy & your fingers will be all sticky...yucky!



Now, when you it back around to the other side, you will want to have a nice folded seam to close it off...just add some mod podge to the end & fold it over...then add more and seal it down.





Then you'll want to fold the fabric along the bottom...



Simply add some mod podge down there & start folding it in.





You might need to hold it down for a few seconds to get it to stay in place.

Now, you can say you're finished...

or you can add a "sealer" to the outside of your container.

I like to do this because 

#1. It makes the container shiny.

#2. Shiny things are pretty.

#3. It will make the container stronger.

#4. and prettier. ;)

So, stick your hand inside the container 
& start to paint the mod podge all over the outside.



I will look white & creamy...
this is normal, don't worry...
it will dry clear & shiny. :)

Let them dry for a little while (at least an hour)
before putting anything in them.



  I added a chalkboard sticker on a few of the ones I made. 
I need to get some more...
I've gone a little crazy with them upstairs!



Hopefully, one day soon I be able to share my craft room...
just a few more things to tweak & organize up there...
it's looking more & more like a happy, little, somewhat organized...
Mom Cave! :)





I will plunge on! ;)

Hope you have a great Wednesday (eve)!

1 comment:

  1. I am so gonna make some of these!!! So cute!!!!! Hmm, too bad I'll have to eat all of those mini pretzels first....

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for Your Lovely Comments. I enjoy every single one of them! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...