Friday, June 22, 2012

Etiquette...




Etiquette (play /ˈɛtɨkɛt/ or /ˈɛtɨkɪt/, French: [e.ti.kɛt]) is a code of behavior that delineates expectations for social behavior according to contemporary conventional norms within a society, social class, or group. The French word étiquette, literally signifying a tag or label first appeared in English around 1750.[1]


Lately I have wondered...

has etiquette just completely disappeared from our daily lives?


Respect for others, their feelings, their opinions.
 
Manners, treating people the way you would like to be treated.




Tact, knowing what to say, what not to say & when to stop talking.





Self Worth, having pride in your appearance, 
say what you mean & mean what you say. 




I see people in stores, 
cannot get in line,
cannot WAIT their turn.

I see people on the road doing the same thing,
but adding ugly faces or hand motions.

I turn on the television and see "reality shows" featuring young people wearing very little clothing, engaging in very unfavorable behavior...

Just recently I had some "friends" on facebook 
be openly disrespectful to me because I stated that I didn't plan on reading 50 Shades of Grey. Certainly, it's none of my business if you want to read that...I honestly could care less...it's not my thing, sorry. 

I respect you & I would appreciate you respecting me...

seems pretty simple.

& as my friend Linda said,
"be careful what becomes the new norm".

It seems like times are changing
& I'm going backward....

Ha.

Apparently, I'm just a 50's Housewife
trapped in the wrong time period! ;)



I have sent several graduation gifts in the past couple of years, only to receive a very small handful handwritten notes thanking me for the gift in return.

This year I have sent two wedding gifts and a baby shower gift that have not rendered a handwritten note, an email or even a verbal acknowledgement that it was received.

That has kind of bummed me out.

What am I doing about it?

Aside from wanting to shock my children with a taser every time they fail to say yes ma'am, no ma'am, please or thank you...
This summer Miss O is participating in a manners class.



I am tickled to death over this &
she seems to be enjoying it too.

They're learning about treating others with kindness,
graciousness,
and respect.

Acting like a little lady,
making a bed,
how to set a table, 
how to fold a napkin,
how to handle social situations,
writing THANK YOU cards

etc.

I don't expect this class to yield results,
but I bet she will remember it for many years to come
& apply it one day when she has children of her own.

I try very hard to walk the talk myself, 
because you can be sure that these older kids are dying to shock me with a taser when they see my elbows on the table. ;)
Haha!

Ok, enough soapbox.

But I will leave you with this...




The end. ;)

Hope y'all have a very happy weekend!

5 comments:

  1. SO it seems to me that you are being very hypocritical as to say that everyone around you has no class and you are just the perfection of the definition, etiquette. Mandy, my post was never about you and if you feel the need to live a reality through FaceBook then go ahead. YOU would sit around all day with no job feeding off of debt from an over arrogant "dentist" to constantly find facebook as a means of "life" and right to "brag" about your own rooty toot snooty life. You burnt the bridge, (not sure if we even had a relationship built). After you burnt the bridge you ran and hid behind this crappy blog that makes you feel like a celebrity. Well let me tell you something, you need to re-read this and reconsider how it reflects your self-worth. If I am not mistaken you were just telling my mother about how you were reading Fifty Shades of Grey yourself. LIAR, that is what you are. You lead a double life and are two-faced whom needs a middle man, such as my sister Emily to win your battles. Get over yourself and for a 40 year old woman, grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long time lurked who rarely comments here. But I had to after reading your post. I agree with so much of what you wrote, and it's a primary reason I am not on Facebook. It's also the reason I can count my girlfriends on one hand. They're real, they're true, and they'd walk through fire for me.

    You're the real deal. Don't allow anyone to bring you down to a lower level.

    As for that horrible book, read it, don't, who cares. But it is awful all the way around. Even if the subject matter doesn't offend ( I was open to reading it....I'm a big girl, married, all that good stuff) it is so poorly written I barely got through one book. I wouldn't read the others if you paid me.

    As for the person who apparently has so much time on her hands she must stalk the blog of someone she despises, I have some words of wisdom for her......Better to let people think you a fool than open your mouth (or keyboard) and prove it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very sweet. I appreciate your kind words. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm with you about the THANK YOU NOTES Mandy! It doesn't take long to write a short note and stick a stamp on it. We are all human and make mistakes, but it seems like our culture is getting looser and lazier about a lot of things. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Completely agree with so much of this. I'm having my first child in October and it makes me more than nervous to think of the world that she'll be exposed to. It makes our job as parents a lot harder than it once was.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for Your Lovely Comments. I enjoy every single one of them! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...