Wednesday, August 8, 2012

"New" Kitchen Chairs...Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

Finally getting a minute to sit down 
& share this project...
busy, busy this week!

I have been wanting some new chairs for my kitchen table for awhile.  Not that I didn't LOVE what I already had...



 
It was a great arrangement, 
but no one wanted to sit on the bench at dinner...


it would end up being Sneaky E doing a sliding act 
up & down that whole side of the table through the entire meal...  

wear me out! 

So, I started searching for chairs...

I didn't realize chairs were so ridiculously expensive! :(

I had some inspiration...
some washed wicker...
deliciousness!! 


Awesome wicker chairs!!



I found a similar version at Ballard, but they were over $300 apiece (I need six, no can do)...I found a poor girl version at Pier One, but they just didn't sing to me & if I'm going to drop money on something like that it simply must sing.

I decided to put it away & just carry on with what we had (wasn't unhappy with it that much)...& then I ran up on my pal Debbie selling her  kitchen table & chairs on facebook...

 (she was one of Big O's teachers, love her).




She had bought this set from a local furniture store,
superb quality!  

Plus she has two grown boys...
boys who played football in college...
big boys!!!

I knew if they were still sturdy after that,
they were survivors! ;) 

I got the table and six chairs for $250. 
Since I didn't need another table & my buddy Ronda did...I passed that baby on down the road to her brand new house & got busy on my "new chairs".

I brought them inside first thing to make sure they were what I wanted...





Lovely...

But they needed to be painted...

First I purchased the Old Fashioned Milk Paint.
This a great product, but it was just not for me.

I am too impatient & spoiled to fool with mixing my own paint. When I want to paint, I want to open a can & paint...

So, I ventured out to the Then & Again Marketplace over in Hendersonville, TN. They are my local retailer for Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  If you're in the area, do make a stop in to see them...LOTS & LOTS of beautiful things, gifts, nibbles, party supplies, just tons of goodness!

I picked up some Duck Egg, Coco & Dark wax and a couple of brushes...




Ah, let the paint adventure begin!!

After playing around a bit...

I decided to paint them with the Duck Egg & 
then go over them with the dark wax to give them an antiqued look...




They were mighty pretty before waxing...
that duck egg is a beautiful blue!

Let me sidebar here & tell you this...

see that little can of paint up there?
I have painted MY SIX CHAIRS, two more chairs & a table for my mother AND a mirror frame and I still have A HALF OF A CAN LEFT! It goes a LONG, LONG WAY!

This chalk paint is so delicious...it is just a bit thicker than regular paint, glides on & covers instantly, no priming or sanding...I.AM.HOOKED!

After painting them, I attacked them with the dark wax & my sanding block...





Pretty big difference!
Pretty nasty hand...ack! 



Debbie had recovered her chairs with a chocolate fabric 
& this is what was underneath....(it actually didn't look bad, but wasn't the look I was going for).


I decided to recover the chairs using a big dropcloth from Lowe's ($9.98 for all six chairs).



Now they're right at home & Sneaky E's dinner show is over! ;)



I've been working hard to update some things around our downstairs this week, I'll pop back in here & give you guys a little tour soon.

I'm sharing today at....

Savvy Southern Style
Jennifer Rizzo
Cowgirl Up!
Not Just a Housewife
The 36th Ave  
The House of Hepworths 
Shades of Amber



Stop in & check out the other awesome projects being shared!


***********************************************

I'm hopping up to prep dinner (crazy, busy day)...
it's my mommy's 60th birthday today!!

I made her an appointment to get a massage after school (she's a teacher) & then she's coming out to have birthday dinner with my crazy bunch!



Happy birthday, grandma!!
I hope I look half as beautiful as you do one day!
Love you!!

19 comments:

  1. I love it!!!!!!!!!!! such a pretty color. can't wait to see more of your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- those turned out fabulous! And look how pretty your Mom is!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Okay, so what really is the deal with the chalk paint? Is it basically paint only you don't have to prime and then you use wax over it to give it some texture? I've been hearing about it for months now, but wasn't quite sure what all the hype was about! Thanks for answering a few questions! The chairs look fab!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I LOVE the whole new look! The chairs are just perfect! Love your pretty rug too! What a beautiful shot of your Mom, pretty girls in your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love how they turned out!! Great tutorial. I'd love for you to share it at my linky party, Twirl & Take a Bow at www.houseontheway.com. It's every Tuesday. Hope you can stop by!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUPER job! Duck Egg is my favorite AS Paint color! Glad to have found you via Shades of Amber!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Annie Sloan Chalk Paint! This makes me want to repaint my kitchen table that I just stained

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the table and chairs! Will you show how you did the "re cover" on the chairs?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did my kitchen table and it looks very similar to yours. My question...after the clear wax then dark wax did you clear wax again?
    Have you been eating etc on the kitchen table? Is it getting marks or stains from you kids drinks etc? How do you clean the table? I'm worried I'm going to ruin my table without some sort of sealer over the table. Is the wax the sealer?
    Thanks for the advice,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Stacey!

      I have had NO issues with my table top after applying the dark wax (did not use clear wax on that). It's almost like a waterproof sealer. I am VERY happy with it.

      If I can help you more please email me at mandypryor@gmail.com.

      :)

      Delete
  10. I love this! My husband and I are in the process of finishing our table, and I was wondering how did you finish your table top? I am also in the process of looking for chairs to finish similarly. You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!

      I bought my table that way, but I did go over it with the Annie Sloan Dark Wax to season all the scratches that had accumulated over the past four years.

      Delete
  11. Where did you get your rug? It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice! I have a breakfast table and chairs that I bought for $50. Great quality, just a little beat up. I would love to do this but I live in Germany and think I would have to order the Annie Sloan products. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your chairs look like a million bucks! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous color that goes so well with that rug!

    Hope your mom had a fab b-day!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  15. When you covered the chairs did you treat the drop cloth so it won't stain?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know it's been two years since this post but where did you get the rug? Maybe I can find a similar one from the same place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know this post is OLD lol..but how did the chairs hold up to use by kids? I just chalk painted my dining chairs, and love the soft matte finish so I hate to use poly on them though I've heard its most durable? I hadn't planned to use cushions on them but I may if I can do the wax on the rest lol..

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for Your Lovely Comments. I enjoy every single one of them! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...