Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Shuttered Doors...Part 1


I've had these two shuttered doors in my garage forever...
among a horrendous collection of other things
I found them in a barn on some property we used to own.

They're heavy & super nice, 
REAL WOOD doors.

Many possibilities...





I hadn't decided where to put them...
but since they were speaking to me,
I had to start painting!

I started off with a nice coat of 
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in French Linen
(one of my most favorite ASCP colors)!!

Nice, warm & just so yummy!


I didn't paint it completely
as you can see some of the honey brown still showing through.

I wanted to try & give portions of them an aged look
& you have to have raw wood for that to happen.

So, I got after them with my sander...



Please keep in mind,
these results are best achieved when one has an 
AUDIENCE.
Multiple domestic pets required. ;)



 


Now, in this picture you can see how 
I just slapped the sander 
here & there...

totally random & taking the wood 
all the way down to the grain.


I can't remember if I've blogged about 
using vinegar & steel wool to age wood before...

Here's a site that explains how to do that.

It's very easy & one of my favorite 
(& cheap) 
things to do when painting & distressing!

I use a glass Mason jar with lid, 
pour in my vinegar & drop in a wad of steel wool.
I usually let it sit at least 12 hours before using.

It's so simple,
just dip your brush
& paint the vinegar right on.

If it's not dark enough for you,
let it dry completely & do it again.



I was VERY pleased with the direction 
this project was going in...
these doors were just shaping up so nicely.


AND THEN...
I ran out of time to paint.
(classic)

So, these darlings are just standing around in my garage...
waiting for me to come back.

(sometimes I really need a clone)

I considering going in this direction...
adding some Old White & a dash of Provence.




I am also still considering selling them.

If you're LOCAL
& interested in one or both shutter doors,

I'd be happy to custom finish them for you.


**********

Well, I'm out of time again...

headed out to pick up the sweet little babies from school.

Thanks for stopping by...
The Shutter Doors...
to be continued. ;)

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for Your Lovely Comments. I enjoy every single one of them! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...