Friday, October 11, 2013

On My Nightstand...Christian Literature


Over the summer I picked up a copy of 

by
Lynn Austin



  

Here is the summary from Goodreads:

In the aftermath of the Civil War, Josephine Weatherly and her mother, Eugenia, struggle to pick up the pieces of their lives when they return to their Virginia plantation. But the bitter realities of life after the war cannot be denied: their home and land are but shells of their previous grandeur; death has claimed her father and brother; and her remaining brother, Daniel, has returned home bitter and broken. The privileged childhood Josephine enjoyed now seems like a long-ago dream. And the God who failed to answer any of her prayers during the war is lost to her as well.

Josephine soon realizes that life is now a matter of daily survival--and recognizes that Lizzie, as one of the few remaining servants, is the one she must rely on to teach her all she needs to know. Josephine's mother, too, vows to rebuild White Oak... but a bitter hatred fuels her.

With skill and emotion, Lynn Austin brings to life the difficult years of the Reconstruction era by interweaving the stories of three women--daughter, mother, and freed slave--in a riveting tale.


I read it & really enjoyed it. 

A friend told me I needed to read her "civil war series"...
ahem, this Gone With the Wind lover could not get over to Amazon fast enough to order them!!!

I just finished this AWESOME series & 
wanted to share...

They were not what I was expecting...
they made me think,
they made me feel humbled & ashamed, 
they made me want to get up in the morning & 
use all my gifts to glorify God.

I highly recommend this set,
especially if you love historical fiction!

The first one is Candle in the Darkness.




The Goodreads Summary:

Book 1 in the Refiner's Fire series. The daughter of a wealthy slave-holding family from Richmond, Virginia, Caroline Fletcher is raised in a culture that believes slavery is God-ordained and biblically acceptable. But upon awakening to the cruelty and injustice it encompasses, Caroline's eyes are opened for the first time to the men and women who have cared tirelessly for her. Her journey of maturity and faith will draw her into the abolitionist movement, where she is confronted with the risks and sacrifices her beliefs entail.

I admit,
I had to put this one down.
The main character was so....
strong.

Her faith just completely blew me away!
It made me irritated because
I felt weak & ashamed...
I would not have been strong enough 
spiritually to do the things she did.

I'm SO glad I picked it back up & finished...
the next two were EVEN BETTER!!


 



I'm not going to tell you about those.
It would spoil everything for you. ;)

I haven't read any of her other books yet,
but these four were just exceptional!

Have you read any good ones lately?
I WOULD LOVE some recommendations,
my nightstand is bare!

Leave a comment or hop over to my Facebook page
share what's on your nightstand,
I would love to hear from you. 

Wishing y'all the finest Friday
& a beautiful fall weekend!
Mwah!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful books! I always wonder what my faith would have looked like during that time period... Could I have gone against family and friends... They are hard books, but beautiful! Did you say that you had read her "Gods and Kings" series based on the Old Testament Kings? If not, you HAVE to, I think they are her very best! And again, "hard" to read, but made me fall in LOVE with the Old Testament!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite Christian fiction author is Dee Henderson. The O'Malley series is a story of six orphans who change their name to O'Malley and become a family when they age out of the foster care series. Check it out and let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for Your Lovely Comments. I enjoy every single one of them! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...