Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Making a Cheap Shelf Look Custom

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I am making some updates in Miss O's room.

Lots of changes...
lots of LESS!!
That child was one drawer away from an episode of Hoarders!!

I was sad to discover,
she has completely outgrown her little girl desk (she, however was not sad...naturally & was very excited about new furniture). 

We got busy looking for something new, but were both quite frustrated that everything we liked was way more than we wanted to spend.
(and when I say we, I mean P Daddy) 


We both loved this set from Pottery Barn Teen, but alas it was just too expensive
(cough...like $2,000, not including the chair).

No, ma'am...


Instead of giving up, 
we let this picture be our inspiration while we hunted for a wall system in our budget. (& when I say "budget", I mean P Daddy said "it better be a LOT cheaper than that") ;)

We lucked up & found THE PERFECT gently loved, previously painted desk/chair set at my local paint haunt, Then & Again Marketplace in Hendersonville, TN. 


$225 for both pieces...
yes, indeed...
I can like it!
The "drawer" is a place to put your computer keyboard,
but she uses it to store her laptop.
It is perfect for her!

Next we hunted bookcases...
Keep in mind, I really wanted to get her something nice or even do a built in system on that wall...but I know a lot of things will change in her world over the next few years & this cheaper option will be great to take to college if she needs it.
(did I just admit that this child might leave me & go to college?!?)
((smack my mouth))

After hunting until my eyeballs were crossing, I found two perfect sized book shelves at Wayfair...
under $100 each (& free shipping, yippeeeee)!



Of course, this was a classic case of 
"you get what you pay for" 
because I had to put every little nibble of it together myself.
(the quality of this shelf is comparabe to the fake wood pieces I've seen in Target)

The backing for this bookcase just would not do...it looked very cheap 
& made a cheap shelf look even cheaper.
I am all about a bargain, but you will never see me looking cheap!
Tisk...just unacceptable!

I decided that since Annie Sloan Chalk Paint would adhere to ANY surface, it would surely be the solution to my "cheap", ugly shelf backing problem.
(See how it has a crease fold down the middle there...have you ever!!!)


Annie Sloan is divine, but DOES NOT adhere to any surface.
 
Ahem...
I stood corrected.



Enter Plan B...
the good ole,
hoarded, coveted...
beadboard wallpaper!

I found this at Home Depot about four years ago & have used it on a half a dozen different projects.It's simple to apply & very durable. I recommend it if the area you are planning to use it on is not a "high traffic" spot (because it IS paper, it will rip).


Well, of course my cheap shelf backing was wider than the wallpaper...
but with the pattern of the paper it looked like part of the patter (thankfully)  it wasn't that noticeable & I decided it would be fine. (actually, I decided if anyone were looking that close they needed to get on home & worry about their own stuff...)


This paper is pre-pasted, 
so applying water is all you need.
But...
I'm a "forever" kind of girl when I do projects like this...
I added a bit of mod podge to make sure that frisky edge would stay down!
That's how I roll. 

I didn't worry about it being completely dry, I dried it with a towel & maybe let it sit for 15-30 minutes.

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint is expensive, 
so this go around I used Southern Honey Workshop paint.That little container was around $6, I think.

This color is called Claudie Bell &
is a bit brighter than the Annie Sloan Provence I originally started to use.
If you're local, Hadley & Finn on the square sells this paint.


I let this dry completely,
probably an hour 
(or more, because most likely I got distracted by something & forgot about it).

Then I used my trusty new GLAZE...
oh, how I love!!! I picked this up at Home Depot, $8.99 a can.


You paint it on,
then wipe it off.
Leave as much or as little as you like.


It's pretty awesome!



Of course that paint wouldn't stick to the exposed particle board edges either & 
I had to go back later after it was completley dried and touch up those spots with a q-tip...
ever so gently...nothing worse than cheap furniture acting like a diva!!

Now the little darling is upstairs.


and her twin sister is waitng for her turn.
I'll get to her soon, 
(rainy November is almost here).


I think this is coming along...
& is pretty close to what we were wanting. I have only spent $425 on that whole wall, that's much nicer than a $2,000...no?


Baby steps...

Her room is coming together.
I'm still waiting on some pieces from PBTeen that were backordered.
I'll keep you posted
(& you keep me accountable). ;)

Thanks so much for visiting.
Have a great day!

Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for Your Lovely Comments. I enjoy every single one of them! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...