Tuesday, October 28, 2014

On My Nightstand...The Savannah Quartet

So, back in July...
I started reading Eugenia Price's
Savannah.



I had picked this book up at the Goodwill for $2,
((Goodwill is a GREAT place to buy books))

It is a LONG book, around 800 pages...
so it took me awhile to make a commitment.
I'm very glad I decided to give a chance...
the Savannah Quartet was SO worth the time!

((Here's my original post about the book Savannah.))

Savannah....
I enjoyed it tremendously...
ESPECIALLY when I got to the end

(don't panic, it's not a spoiler)

and found that one of the families in that book was real.

The author used letters and stories from the family archives and created fictional characters around them.
That was a huge lure for me,
I could not wait to find out what happened to these people
& quickly uploaded the remaining three books to my NOOK!

This series began just at the end of The War of 1812 and spanned through the Civil War.
I found myself very attached to the Savannah characters...
they married,
had children,
then their children had children...
it was quite a treat to follow them through the entire course of their lives.

I gained so much historical knowledge from these,
I did not know that much about the south prior to the Civil War...
especially the treatment of Indians who had been driven off their land.
One of the children marries a man who is in politics,
so there is a lot of detail about the United States as a union & the direction our "united" country is going in during that enormous period of growth for our nation.

I would easily call this christian literature,
because this sweet family relied on prayer and God to help them through challenging times.
This series was a wonderful read that took awhile,
but I enjoyed so very much.

This is an article about Mary Cowper Stiles Low, the grand daughter of one of the main Savannah characters.



and their beautiful home in Savannah, the Andrew Low Home.

Now, if you've read my blog for any amount of time...
you know I'm obsessive about old southern homes!

I'm just dying to get to Savannah now!

I could go on & on,
but I don't want to spoil this story for you.
((give me a holler when you finish it & we'll get together for coffee))

If you're looking for something enjoyable,
I do highly recommend this series.

The are, in order:

Savannah
To See Your Face Again
Before Darkness Falls
Stranger in Savannah

******************************************************


I'm in the middle of this one right now...
Ruth's Journey, 
the authorized story of Mammy



it is so good,
so, so good...

I'm taking it slllllloooowwww,
savoring each & every page. :)

It's unhealthy how I become attached to book characters...
baha...
I don't care,
I love it! 

What's on your nightstand right now?

I need to add some new reads to my list.

Hope you have a cozy Tuesday!

Mwah!

Mandy





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for Your Lovely Comments. I enjoy every single one of them! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...