Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Painted Kitchen Island in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Duck Egg Blue

Once upon a time
there was a nice brown kitchen island.

It was lovely.

Just simple
& brown.

Over the past 8 years,
it has been on a journey!

I cannot find a full picture of it,
before I painted it the first time.
But it was very clean & very nice.

((I cannot believe I did not blog 
about painting that thing the first time!))

Here's a peek...

(bless that poor, streaked dishwasher)



I did like it very much.
It was perfectly perfect.

Until my family started to abuse it.

So, after a few years I painted it.

It was rad,
it was distressed
& it looked really good with that hardwood floor we had in the kitchen.
(sorry, no picture of that...what is wrong with me!?!)

Last year we updated the kitchen and
put down this fabulous brick tile floor!

Oh, I LOVE it...
it's SO easy to keep clean!!

However...

That rad kitchen island
& that awesome brick floor...
well,
the two of them together...
(competing for your attention)
it was just way too much texture for this room.



And then there was THE TRASH CAN!

That trash can has been the root of my problem from the very beginning.

Hidden in the island,
behind a pretty cabinet door.
It was a nice thought.

Yanked open, slammed shut
Yanked open, slammed shut
Yanked open, slammed shut 

Thank you, children...

As you can see below,
even the painted, 
updated version was a victim of abuse!


 


It was stressing me out 
(yes, I have issues)
& I was ready for a change.

After months of debate 
& about five different color samples on the back side...

I decided to go with Annie Sloan Duck Egg Blue.
(an old faithful)





Annie Sloan chalk paint always starts off a bit scary,
so I glaze tested a spot to show P Daddy there's nothing to worry about. 

(In case he noticed)
(Which he did not)
(I don't think)
(no, probably not)




On a sidebar...

Never paint without making sure the dish is full, 
unless you enjoy participating in the stare down...

I lost this round. 

There will be others. 




Anyway, 
back to painting...

I covered this island in ONE COAT of chalk paint,
with lots left over!
That little can goes a LONG way!




Now, check out this terrible quality work!!!


As always with Annie Sloan paint...
the worse your base paint job,
the better your finished product. 

Yeah...that's character!
Nice & rough!

I always sand & distress before applying wax 
(or as with this project, glaze). 
It smoothes the surface, 
but still leaves the right amount of texture.

After sanding & distressing, I applied the glaze. 
I used this Rustoleum brand from Home Depot. 
I'm sure you've heard me mention this product. 
This is THE SAME CAN,
it lasts forever!!


WHY use this instead of the Annie Sloan wax?

Here's a picture of the finish from the first paint job.
This was back when I was still learning to use Annie Sloan paints. 




I painted it with Graphite,
then Coco,
then heavily distressed.

I SHOULD HAVE applied a coat of clear wax, 
BEFORE applying a coat of dark wax.

(but ain't nobody got time fo dat)

But I wanted the finish to be as DARK as it could possibly be
& applying the dark wax directly on the chalk paint is the way to achieve that look. 

It just turned out dirty looking &
I never really loved it.

The glaze is SO MUCH faster &
SO much less work!

No fancy tricks. 

Just paint it on,
Then wipe it off with a rag. 
No back breaking elbow grease,
no waxy wax mess!




Don't get me wrong...
I do love the wax with the chalk paint,
but for this particular project I wanted a different finish. 





Isn't it pretty!!!

The java brown glaze totally 
gave it the aged look that I was going for.

Now...
Only ONE more step to do!

If you do not use the Annie Sloan Wax...

YOU MUST 
apply a finish.

YOU MUST!

It will dry 
and just flake right off if you don't. 




I decided to use Zinsser Bulls Eye for this project.
I applied ONE coat of their clear Shellac by brush. 

It gave me a beautiful waterproof finish. 
You can find this at Home Depot.

I've been painting with that same gallon for over a year, 
it lasts & lasts!



I do love this finish!!

It is gloss, 
but not a shiny high gloss. 

It gets dark in this part of my kitchen, 
this finish bounces the light just right 
& is a nice contrast to my flat, 
no shine brick floor.





I have one last thing to finish on this project,
the SHELF that goes in the front part of the island.

I couldn't decide if I wanted it painted or
leave it the cherry stain.

I'll be painting it as soon as it thaws out enough down in the garage.
Brrrrrr.... 




I was worried that this would be too "matchy matchy" 
with our kitchen chairs painted the same color. 

If the light is not on in our eating area
(and it never is)
it's really dark 
on that side of the room.

They seem to be far enough apart...
I have hardly noticed 
that they are the same color at all.





It's lighter, 
cleaner & 
turned out even better than I planned!
I'm really tickled with it!
Happy kitchen, yeah!!!




So, there ya go!

Our Updated Kitchen Island,
in just three days!

Here's a list of the materials I used:

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, Duck Egg Blue
Hand Sanding Block
Rustoleum Glaze in Java Brown


If you have any questions,

This was an easy project thanks to the glaze,
you can totally do this yourself!

I'm sharing today over on
Savvy Southern Style

and Dixie Delights Share Your Style Party.


No Minimalist Here



I've got to hop up here & get busy,
but I'm so glad you stopped by today.

Wishing y'all a beautiful,  
WARM Tuesday!!


Mwah,

Mandy

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Love Love the way your island came out and I LOVE that brick floor!! Beautiful job...beautiful kitchen! Thanks for partying with us:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!! I'm getting ready to paint old thin paneling in a vintage camper. Got any technique ideas? Thanks! Gena Sloan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gena!! I have only had one thing not work for Annie Sloan paint & that was a cheap particle board shelf that I bought at Target...would NOT adhere!! I think that paint would work fine in there but you would have to use the wax or finish it with a sealer for sure. You can find Annie Sloan paint at Then & Again Marketplace in Hendersonville.

      Delete

Thank You for Your Lovely Comments. I enjoy every single one of them! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...