Monday, November 2, 2015

Motivation on Monday...{Social Media, the Thief of Joy}

Good Monday Morning, friends!

Today is a rare Monday that Olivia is out of school for a teacher in-service, but the boys are not so we are headed out to have a girl's day...

I think we might get started on Christmas shopping (but I can hardly wrap my mind around that because it seems like I just DID THAT...time sure is flying by!).

I've had some things on my mind for the past few weeks & wanted to pop in here to share a little motivation on this first Monday in November.

Earlier this year I decided to get off The Facebook, you might remember me blogging about it. Everything about it was just making me miserable & I am furious that I let that eat up my precious time and steal even one ounce of my joy!


Today, I want to encourage my sweet mama friends to not let social media steal your joy...

because it doesn't matter what others are doing,
it matters what YOU are doing!


For great motivation, health and fitness tips, check us out at: www.betterbodyfitnessbootcamps.com Follow us on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/betterbodyfitnessbootcamps:
Pin Source

Being a mom is so hard, especially being a new mom with small children. It's very easy to let yourself compare your life to the life of someone else (or the life they want you to think they have) on Facebook. Compare & despair is a miserable feeling!

Not only do we find ourselves comparing, now people are so engaged in social media & SO enthralled by what everybody else is doing on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc...they have named a new mental disorder, FOMO.

The Fear of Missing Out
(I can't even...)

Partial definition from Wikipedia:

Fear of missing out or FoMO is "a pervasive apprehension that others might be having rewarding experiences from which one is absent".[2] This social angst [3] is characterized by "a desire to stay continually connected with what others are doing".[2]

FOMO - fear of missing out google definition anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts seen on a social media website. - have to use this in short story have someone say FOMO and someone reply "What?":
Pin Source

I have NOT ONE DOUBT that this is a real disorder, because the mind is a very powerful thing! Everyone wants to be liked, to belong and be important. Facebook gives people the platform to be whatever they want to be and for some people, maintaining that picture perfect life on social media entirely consumes their lives!

During the five months that I was disconnected from Facebook, I definitely noticed a difference in my life. I could tell a difference in my stress (anxiety) level, and I definitely could tell a difference in my PRODUCTIVITY level!

But then school started...

And with three kids at three different schools, it was just easier for me to keep up with what was going on & people sharing pictures of school events by checking Facebook.

I managed to avoid much of the toxic and negative personalities by using the HIDE button. (you might say I wore that hide button out...). But here I am...three months later, feeling the same way I felt about it before. Something about Facebook turns otherwise lovely people into strangers.

It's all still there...

The people who post 2-3 self exploiting selfies a day.
The people who rant relentlessly (usually without facts).
The people who post vague pity stories about how they've been done wrong so that the judgment mob will pick up their pitchforks & torches...

I have seen ugly comments posted that would have NEVER been "said" if people were communicating face to face and situations that could have been dissolved by simply discussing your feelings instead of blowing it out of proportion by sharing it with the whole world...

Haha!:


It's disheartening to me to think about my children growing up consumed by this social media driven culture and it also makes me sad to see young adults, newlyweds, new parents wasting their precious time on this earth wearing themselves out to keep up with the (ridiculous & unrealistic) Facebook Jones'...


So, today...on this first Monday in November.
The month devoted to counting your blessings and being Thankful...
 
I want to remind my sweet friends...
 
please do not waste a minute of your life
letting Facebook and social media steal your joy!


It IS a choice, I'm not talking about being happy all the time, but being finding joy in the hope that we have even when life is tough.:
Pin Source
Share with & enjoy your REAL FRIENDS on & off of social media, but do not let the things you see there make you feel unimportant or insecure. It doesn't matter what everybody else is doing, it matters what YOU are doing and I hope that you are focusing your talents on being the best YOU that you can be (because you're awesome!!).  ♥


I'm glad you stopped by to visit today.

Have a beautiful November Monday, friends!

Mwah,

Mandy


4 comments:

  1. Very well written and sooooo true!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree! I have such a love/hate with Facebook! Life was much easier without it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sums it up perfectly! I love keeping up with my people, but I am so much happier when I stay off that site!

      Delete

Thank You for Your Lovely Comments. I enjoy every single one of them! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...